Marketing that is not converting is a big problem.
Most companies are wasting an enormous amount of money on their Marketing. You can find it everywhere. When I tell you why…it will blow your mind and you’ll start to see it out in the wild. Here are some common places you can find marketing that is wasting a lot of money.
- Airport Ads
- Your Emails (if your list is big enough then email can be pretty costly)
- Paid Social Media Ads
Reason #1 Your Marketing isn’t Converting: Noise
Our customers are met with over 3,000 commercial messages every day. The short answer is…there is a lot of noise. You are competing with everthing I mentioned above as well as your customer’s personal lives that certainly distract them from your messaging.
Reason #2 Your Marketing isn’t Converting: Your messaging isn’t helping them survive & thrive
Your customers’ brains are wired to do two things:
- Survive and Thrive
- Conserve Calories
What does this mean for you and your marketing? You’ve got to be communicating with your customers on a level where they intuit that you are there to help them. Our brain is brain first and foremost to help us Survive and Thrive. In today’s society, we have most of our first level needs like shelter and food. According to the rest of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs the other categories are:
- Security & Safety
- Intimate Relationships and Friends
- Feeling of Accomplishment
- Achieving our Full Potential
What does this mean for marketers? You’ve got to be clear and you’ve got to be talking in a way that the brain can very quickly understand that you can help them survive and thrive.
The StoryBrand blog has a great article on your messaging. Read it here.
How do you get clear marketing?
- Create a Persona before you start creating marketing collateral. You need to know about your customer and what they care about. Based on your product the stuff we talked about above will always be a bit different. Yes, your customer needs safety and security and a feeling of belonging but that should be in light of what you have to offer and how it helps them survive and thrive.
- Create a BrandScript – We are all about StoryBrand and believe it works. The best thing you can do to assist in making sure you are putting out material that is clear is to create a BrandScript. Obviously, we can help you do that, but you can also read the book, purchase the online training, or go to a live workshop and be sure you are doing it correctly.
- Avoid the Curse of Knowledge – You are most likely an expert in whatever it is that you are offering. The mistake we often make is that we communicate to our customers at the expert level. We expect that they would understand everything we understand. Think of your customers as being beginners and amateurs in your product. Then adjust your marketing as if you’re explaining it to a beginner.